Beets are the most intense vegetable. They stain everything!! I’ve even held a beet between my lips for a pair of rouge kissables, au natural (more than once). They are dominating and transform any dish into a red-purple medley of love. The crisp beet medallions in these vegan, gluten-free skewers meld so nicely with the smooth texture of the bite-sized avocados and crunch of red onion (which after a few hours are all a little red themselves).
- a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil
- the squeeze of half a lemon
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- a small pinch of finely grated lemon zest
- about a tablespoon of nutritional yeast
- a spoonful of miso paste
- a dash of smoked paprika and black pepper
- beet medallions – fresh peeled beets, sliced as thin as you can… if you have a mandolin, use here!
- avocado – bite-sized
- red onion
- small cherry tomatoes, halved
- red bell pepper
- Skewer the bite-sized veg, alternating as yo go and place in a shallow dish.(…I like to put the avocado pieces next to the red onion…)
Whisk the marinade ingredients in a bowl, pour over the skewers and put them in the fridge. Make the skewers at least four hours before you want to eat them so the marinade can soak up the deliciousness!